Today an article on how to install SmartFileSystem on Amiga OS 3.9. There is also a part on migration to SFS for the one who want their entire OS hard drive booting directly in SFS.
- 1 Why ?
- 2 COUNCILS
- 3 Summary
- 4 The hardware
- 5 Get SFS from Aminet
- 6 Get HDInstTools from aminet and install SFS
- 7 Partition your drive:
- 8 Formating the first partition
- 9 Copy your Amiga OS Files to the fresh new SFS partition
- 10 LARGE HD SUPPORT
- 11 SAFER FFS USE
- 12 RESOURCES
- FFS is “Fast File System”
- SFS is “Smart File System”
With FFS :
I’ve been more than once in front of the problem of partition validating for ages in cause of a crash when some writing was going. This is not so annoying when it is a FD that is 880Kb big, but when it is a 3Gb partition…
As I have backups of my files, what I did was to reformat the partition each time, and copy back the files (faster then waiting for the revalidation!).
Other problem is the speed of this filesystem.
Last minute note : to avoid long validation, you can use the tool “disksafe”, that you can find on aminet.
With SFS :
the speed is better, there is no revalidation, and the defragmentation is included “on the go”, and you have a better Large HD support.
AROS : will access the partitions natively in a more robust way than with FFS.
And I’ve made absolutely all the possible errors, so I want to share my experience.
Note 2018 03 09 : After experimenting a lot, you should keep the first partition in FFS to be able to share your files with your linux system, like in those two articles :
Install Amiga OS 3.1 for your real Amiga (1200) using FS-UAE on linux ubuntu / Access your FFS flash card on linux
Don’t forget : each time you change a parameter inside HDInstTools, please, press “ENTER”. If you don’t, the entry won’t be validated.
Before a change on a partition can be taken in account, you must *reboot* your system.
Note 2018 03 09 : After experimenting a lot, you should keep the first partition in FFS to be able to share your files with your linux system, and use “disksafe” from aminet for a safer FFS use
SOME USEFULL SOFTWARES
- HDInsttools : http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/hdinst
- FixHDDSIZE : http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fixhddsize
- For a safer use of FFS, use the tool DISKSAFE from Aminet : http://aminet.net/package/disk/salv/DiskSafe
- get SFS
- get HDInstTools
- Install the filesystem on the boot block to enable it at boot
- copy your system to the new drive
- install nSDPatch to your new OS installation
- get all your partitions working
Partitions parameters summary
- NSDPatch je sèche … “Activation DH1: failed” (FR) Merci aux poto sur amigaimpact qui m’ont aidé à résoudre mon problème… bête car j’avais simplement pas appuyé sur entrée en paramétrant ma partition.
- A video (not by me) :
i use an extention wich protect your privacy